Saturday, December 8, 2012

Written by Peter

 
So the time has come. The holidays are here and my lovely wife has reminded me that my contribution to her blog has been long over due. Last month we had the opportunity to go on a road trip to Nashville, TN. This trip was quite the treat as we were able to visit family, downtown Nashville, and of course Trader Joe's. On our way back home we made a brief detour to Montgomery, AL, which is the home of Maxwell AFB (the location of Commissioned Officer Training school also known as COT). Just a little over ten years ago I graduated from COT and my former pastor in PR, Dennis Kirkland, was able to attend. Fast forward ten years and now Dennis is a student at COT on the verge of graduating. Funny how things work.
There have been a several men who God has placed in my life over the years who have played a significant role in my development as a Christian man. Dennis, who is now a missionary to Guam, (and a Guam Air National Guard chaplain) is one of them. Dennis was the pastor of Grace Bible Church in Ceiba, PR when I was an impressionable teenager and he took a keen interest in both my brother and I. Dennis was a strong example of a Christian man and a wonderful mentor. Although our time in Alabama was quite brief we were able to reminisce over old times and talk about future plans. Most importantly I was able to introduce Jen to an old friend.

Dennis & Lora Kirkland visiting me at COT, July 2002

Jen and I visiting Dennis at COT, November 2012
 

No comments:

Post a Comment